View Single Post
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-17, 14:35
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Thanks for another good link, Janet. Much of this was deeper than I care to go, but I did pick up on some interesting points. I did the math for the CVD event percentages for each of the 3 categories that the study participants fell under...

Diabetics: 10% rate of CVD events over the 10 year study period
Metabolic Syndrome: 7% rate of CVD events over the 10 year study period
All others: 4% rate of CVD events over the 10 year study period

So it is clear that risk of CVD is much greater for those who are diabetic or insulin resistant. However, a 4% rate of CVD events in those that were not categorized as having diabetes or metabolic syndrome should be concerning. Being lean and supposedly 'healthy' in appearance is no guarantee. It seems reasonable to me that everyone should consider a CAC test when they reach an age where calcification can be measured.

Quote:
Although screening for CHD in patients with diabetes has previously been found to not be of benefit in reducing CHD and ASCVD events,41,42 other reports43- 45 have found that patient awareness of an abnormal CAC score and coronary CT angiography results is associated with increased adherence to preventive therapies, lifestyle changes, and improvement in lipid levels and other risk factors, suggesting that CAC screening might help to support behavioral modification.

I was doing OK with the lifestyle change before I knew my alarming CAC score, but I'd say that being aware of my risk has made a difference. My 'heart healthy' supplement regimen started after I learned that score and my daily walking routine and LCHF WOE continues. In about 2 more months I plan on having my first follow-up CAC scan done. I am anxious to know if my current lifestyle is on the right track. Little to no progression is what I hope to see.