#8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/177.5/156 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 64%

So to answer my own question:

Five weeks in and I'm down 18 pounds, or 30% of my 60 pound loss goal. Here's what I'm seeing and feeling. Hopefully, it can help others who struggle out of the box.
  • Weight loss has been consistent, almost eerily so. Three pounds per week, week-in, week out. Sadly, I know from my previous life that the first few pounds are the easiest and that I am closing in on "Frustration Cliff," which is where, in the past, I would have veered off onto "Eat Fewer Calories" path.
  • I eat a lot of eggs and cheese. I know that eggs aren't the demon food that the popular press likes to make them out to be, but it's hard to remember that after having had the same lesson drilled into you year after year. Cheese and Greek yogurt make up my dairy agenda. I know that there are some questions about the impact of dairy on weight loss, but that falls under the column of TBD for me.
  • The best thing that I could do for myself was skip Atkins induction and move right to Stage 2. Yes, the weight might come off more slowly, but it's an easier diet to maintain because it includes a lot of foods that I like which I don't get in Stage 1. Still, I'm finding myself bored with the variety.
  • Clothes are hanging off me. I'm in that awkward phase where my current clothes are too big but the next size lower are still too small.
  • And finally, I crossed under 200 pounds for the first time in about 15 years. 200 is just a number, but it still feels good.

So it works for now. I'm still a little nervous that I'm not eating enough calories and that weight will come back on later (like it always has under starvation diets), but I've also given up the "no-snacking" rule. I'm probably eating too many nuts (almonds and pistachio), so that's helping put on the calories.

The plus side is that this diet must be having an effect on my blood sugar, right? I started because too many of my friends were developing Type 2 diabetes, so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't on the list.

Mike