#9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 22:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscany
Hi everyone ! I've been lc'ing since Jan 05 & lost 10 lbs in the first few months; but stalled in summer. I also decided to give up tofu & morning star type products due to concerns that soy can cause reduced thyroid activity & maybe breast cancer (I use tempeh though-fermented soy is supposedly ok). If that wasn't enough, I am working on cutting out all sweetners except stevia. So being a vegetarian & doing all of the above, my diet has become so highly restricted that after a couple of months of it, I have slowly started eating more carbs (even sugar). So this morning I weighed in at 135.5; now I'm panicking & want to catch this trend & reverse it before I gain back the entire 10 lbs I lost.

anyone have any ideas for me ? All you veggies out there, how much tofu & soy products are you consuming each day ?

I will add that I'm unable to add any exercise in my life. I have a 2-year old & I work full time

Y'know, every time someone tells me they can't 'add any exercise' to their lives, I tell them the same thing--open your eyes and look at your time a little differently. Park further away from the front door at work, take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk quickly around the building on your break(s) instead of getting a cup of tea, take the baby for a *walk* when you get home. There are LOTS of ways to exercise, that don't involve a gym membership or 90 minutes out of your day. Pilates is a great exercise program, and you'll see toning and strengthening results in three 20-min. workouts per week. You can do it isometrically, or with resistance bands or on a machine. Cardio and weight training/resistance accomplish different goals; each together can help you accomplish more. But exercise is usually the difference between being a size 10 at a given weight, and being a size 6.

As for tofu, I probably only eat tofu once or twice per week and eggs three to four times per week. However, I do eat nuts and seeds, kefir, ricotta and other cheeses every day. I eat soybeans (edamame and black canned or dried, cooked soybeans.) I eat lentil crackers (pappadums.) I also do eat 25g of soy protein isolate in a protein shake with kefir and ricotta cheese every morning. I make tempeh 'croutons' to garnish salads and soups and boost their protein levels, and almond flour muffins that have 10g protein and fewer than 3g carbs per muffin. There is plenty of variety out there, but you've got to think outside the box.

Also, fruit was probably not making you 'stall,' but it's possible that if you weren't getting enough protein, then you weren't going to lose any weight. You really do need to figure out your protein minimum requirement (based on lean muscle mass, start at about 0.8g per lb and add more for increased activity). Without eating enough protein, then you aren't going to reshape your body successfully.