#7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-19, 13:22

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva

One other issue of note has been my high cholesterol and the resulting battle with my doctor over taking a statin. I am one of the select few who have extremely high LDL cholesterol eating a VLC/Keto diet. My doctor wants my LDL-C below 120. Eating Keto (<25 net carbs) my LDL-C usually exceeds 250. I've found that when I add back more carbs (say 50 to 60 net) my LDL will fall below 110. But eating that many carbs puts me in weight creep mode. .......
......... This has put quite a strain on my doctor/patient relationship - especially on visits where my LDL is double what my doctor wants it to be.

Khrussva, Your lines above echo my own dealings with my most recent doc. (My previous doc has retired but was never very keen on the "guidance" on cholesterol numbers. He told me once the alarm limit was 7mmol when he started so he was never very worried by my occasional expeditions above 6mmol. Especially when my HDL and ratios were good.)
However the new guy is a numbers man so was reaching for the statins once i strayed over 6.
Luckily I then discovered Dave Feldman's protocol to "fix" the numbers. I tried it out on a private walk-in cholesterol test at a pharmacists and it worked, so I booked another official test through the doctor.
For three days I lived on as much full cream and boiled potatoes as I could stomach, then the 12 hour fast and the test.
The results were total cholesterol < 6 and a comment from my doc that there was no need for follow-up.
Immediately after the test I went back to full low-carb, so my chol was probably back at 6+ by the time my results were in.
I was tempted to tell all this to my doc and that his learned understanding of blood lipids was a total crock. But I said nought. My objective is to stay statin-free, and that has been achieved.

Would you consider trying the same to get your doc off your back?
The three day feed-up should be short enough to not cause a reversal of your progress to date.
It is a leap in the dark the first time and feels completely counter-intuitive so if you can get an anonymous try-out test, before one from the doc, it can reassure.