View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 04:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I've always had thin hair, and yes I noticed that I seemed to be shedding more. But the problem for me was breakage, not that the hair was actually falling out from the follicles in the scalp. And the new growth that replaced it has been strong and great condition. (of course, then I go and fry it with a perm!.. )

Normally, hair and skin cells are completely renewed and replaced every 4 to 6 weeks. Stress - even good stress - can affect the growth of hair cells in the follicles, causing the hair strand to actually fall out, or the new hair that grows will be weakened and brittle at that particular point, and thus will break. An abrupt change in diet can potentially "stress" the system enough to cause such changes. But with the 4 to 6 week cell growth, you won't notice a change in your hair until a month or two into the new diet.

If the thinning is at the scalp level, and you're noticing bald areas, this may indicate some other health problem ... low thyroid springs to mind.

Biotin is a good idea ... also a source of essential fatty acids such as flax or fish oils, or best of all, a blended mix of nutritional oils, such as Udo's Choice, which provides a balance of omega-3, 6 and 9.

Doreen