View Single Post
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 12:36

Plan: UD 2.0
Stats: 250/200/200 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am excited because there is a lot of research in low carb dieting going on. Believe it or not many researchers are interested in this style now even if they may not be convinced it is benificial to people. The one thing I would like to see changed in all these studies is the variable for measuring effectiveness...weight.

As you all know, when starting a low carb regimine you will drop a lot of water weight initially and dieters eating the same calories on a low carb diet will hold less water than if they were eating a more mixed carb diet. Measuring weight only leads to the counter point that these dieters would just gain the weight back if they started eating "normally" again. A bad argument for several reasons yes, but still annoying.

In all studies like this (testing low carb diets and other means of improving body comp) we need to make body comp testing the standard. Underwater bodyfat testing is becoming more and more available and utilizing such measures before and after these studies would be very prudent. We need to show if body comp is improved on LC relative to MC/HC diets. It is my guess, and I'm sure others, that besides the dryer look and feel a LC diet gives, there is a better fat reduction effect of LC dieting.