View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-23, 22:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
“She doesn't dissuade people from taking supplements of up to 2,000 IU per day, but she doesn't recommend higher levels because some studies have found that excess vitamin D can increase the risk of dangerous falls—researchers speculate that intermittent high doses affect the central nervous system, which could impair balance.”

Being a skeptic since I was a young lad, I’m finding you can’t have it both ways in the article. It’s true as the author points out earlier in the article that RCTs are the only way to assess causation, but she’s also confirming the above quote is purely speculative regarding the possibility vitamin D impacts the CNS and results in falls due to balance issues. Vitamin D is essential, and I’m not concerned that supplementing with it is potentially risky. I’m not concerned that it doesn’t have a positive impact on CVD or cancer. I never thought it did. As for muscle preservation and bone strength, I firmly believe that it is a combination of lifestyle behaviors that prevent or correct osteoporosis and improve one’s lean mass influences on metabolic health. It’s really a cascade of behaviors of which vitamin D levels play a role rather than being a primary contributor to a miraculous correction.