#4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-23, 03:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I've been on keto since it was called Atkins.

Excuse me, I’m sneaking in here to steal that line! Will use it.

Quote:
I tend to put more weight on peer-reviewed articles published in respected journals. You can find them at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ but they aren't that easy to find, and sometimes not that easy to understand. It's worth the work though.

Hand to heart, I wouldn’t be here now if it weren’t for Pub Med. Even if I couldn’t pull much from the tech side, I had folks like Teaser who were dissecting it. Now, there’s DietDoctor and tons of podcasts who explain their take on studies.

I would read an article and get excited. We learn the weasel words. Like anti-oxidants. We all know they are good for us, right?

I’m starting to rethink that. I found an article which soothed people about pesticides because “plants have more pesticides naturally than the stuff we put in there! And plants haven’t killed us yet.”

This started as a “satire or not?” tone puzzle and turned into conformation that there are articles out there on Pub Med explaining that there is no scientific confirmation of their theorized advantage to our health.

Here I was doing autoimmune keto, which led me to lots of nuts and chocolate. I didn’t gain weight, but I would mysteriously go on and off the nuts. Chocolate is turning out to be a pry-it-away from me situation

It was a pattern. Eat seeds, eat salad, and now, eat nuts. But I had searched all known toxin patterns to choose my nuts! Macadamias win every time, BTW, and low oxalate content, so my investment in the bag I keep in the fridge was safe.

But of course they are expensive so I was eating lots of walnuts. Which I shouldn’t have. I didn’t, unless I reminded myself that they are “good for me.” Turns out, they aren’t.

Here’s another conundrum: I bught some organic cocoa, but wound up using dutch cocoa. This is the Special Dark Hershey’s puts out that I can get at the grocery store. It’s less bitter, because the process loses antioxidants. Now, I’m avoiding too much plants and I’ll be low on antioxidants.

But it’s an unsupported theory. And they’ve tried.

But it turns out I can lower my ratio, add the right herbal teas, and cocoa extract (which is not available in a 150 mile radius of me so I’m tracking the brown truck because I’M OUT,) which has no oxalates. And I get decaff coffee back!

I can mocha my way to good health anytime, anywhere.

When I stumbled on carnivore for my autoimmune, and had great success, which faltered, I could not figure out how to get it back on track. Granted, we’ve all been dealing with high stress levels, which is enough all by itself

But I need enough information to put into Pub Med. Once I was thinking about plant phenols and had them called pesticides, I knew the right words to put into the search function. I also know where to go to help me interpret it.

Like if I put in “nitrites” and find an abstract which points out celery has more than cold cuts. That’s easy for me to find support for, or stumble on a meta-study that looks solid.

We don’t have to believe the influencer, the blogger, or the magazine name. We can see just how tenuous the actual evidence is, and most of the time, this information would not get the criminals off, it would send them to jail.