View Single Post
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-15, 01:55

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Diane, thank you for your kind and gracious answers.

I, too, think limiting calories is most helpful. It seems to be a key part of the biochemical and neurological benefits of the KD.

Do you happen to have Epilepsy and the Ketogenic Diet, edited by Strafstrom and Rho? Here is an excerpt from one of the reviews:

For this reader the high point of the book started with the first chapter in Part III and continued right to the end of the book. Biochemical effects of the ketogenic diet are examined, citing scientific studies. Possible explanations for the anti-seizure/anti-epileptic effect of the ketogenic diet are set forth; cerebral energy metabolism, effects on amino acids, molecular regulation, neuronal excitability, effects of caloric restriction, the role of norepinephrine, galanin and neuropeptide Y, etc. Some surprising results are noted. For example, in the chapter on caloric restriction it is suggested that high glucose levels may exacerbate human epilepsies. On a superficial level this is just the opposite of what medical students are taught; i.e., hypoglycemia (not hyperglycemia) causes seizures, which it can.

I have read a couple of places about migraines being triggered by hypoglycemia in the brain, related to GLUT1, which I have begun to read about, also that they are triggered by the brain being too alkaline about 48 hours before the migraine. Found an abstract of a study yesterday that it had been known since 1920 that migraines were the same kind of malfunction in the brain as epileptic seizures. The papers I've found which illuminate this early research are all pay-per-view or paid subscriptions, so am still looking for papers which are relevant, and can be read without charge.

I, too, abstain from eating late in the day. I usually don't eat after about 3:30, 4 at the latest.

Have you looked at iodine? There is a good deal of sound research and evidence on its helping many things. Perhaps Dr. Donald Miller's writings would serve as a starting point. Here is a link to some of those papers.

Thanks again for taking time to post such helpful answers.