#27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 22:13

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 206/179/130 Female 5'5.5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight!
At one point in my low carb journey, when I had lost a fair amount of weight, there came a day when there were potato chips just sitting there at my place. I couldn't stop thinking about them. It was a very powerful craving. At this point I had declined carby foods many times, but I really wanted these potato chips. I gave in and ate some, because I would have been consumed by thoughts of them for hours if I hadn't.

Recently the dots connected for me. My low carb diet was too low in salt. My cravings for potato chips back then were from my body trying to balance itself.

It's fascinating how that works. I spent a day outside once in very hot weather wearing too heavy clothes (surprise heatwave, I was travelling, only had jeans) and in the early evening I started feeling really awful and simultaneously started craving peanuts. An unbelievably strong desire for them, and yet I've never cared for them much at all. I was at a bus station and there was a vending machine so I got a packet and eating them made me feel better very quickly. Once I started feeling well again I was able to make the salt connection. It's the only craving I'll listen to (I know not to listen to the ones for sugar!!)