View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-18, 05:14

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
more than 90% of policymakers believe that “personal motivation” is “a strong or very strong influence on the rise of obesity”. Such people propose no mechanism by which the 61% of English people who are overweight or obese have lost their willpower. But this improbable explanation seems immune to evidence.

I'd like to hear an explanation from the personal responsibility crowd about this collective loss of willpower (don't have time right now to read the Guardian comments). I've heard some stats before about how we don't actually exercise less, or eat more than we did back then; it's about what we eat. And now we know, perhaps it's about when we eat.

We were just talking on the semi-low carb board about how we grew up, when we had parents with not-so-much money, eating a lot of carby things to stretch that dollar. And in my family, because my ever-thin dad had a big sweet tooth, we always had desserts. What we didn't do was eat many times a day or eat a lot of processed foods. On the very rare occasions when my parents would go out, TV dinners overseen by my older sister were an exotic treat.

And we're just starting to get a clue about epigenetics and obesity.