#11   ^
Old Sat, May-25-19, 11:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
When I've been in a hospital cafeteria--it's mostly been because somebody I care about was doing poorly. Usually I wasn't that worried about what I was eating. Comfort food comes to mind here. I don't know that hospital food really affected my overall diet much over time.

If just ten percent of a hospital's food offering is considered "unhealthy"--I'd bet people will make their choices largely from that ten percent. A vending machine full of apples will just gather dust.

We're autonomous beings. Given better information we can start demanding better choices by making them as individuals.

Yes, we should demand better choices, that is what some people are doing now, but for the patients who are held hostage for the duration of their hospital stays, the menus at most hospitals are terrible. As a visitor, I don't even think about food. As a resident patient, the hospital does the thinking for you. Plus, to get healthy food available at hospitals, we'd have to have agreement on what constitutes healthy food. The issue with this idea is that we are currently in an active argument in the US over the dietary guidelines, and agreement comes slowly with much controversy. Which dietary camp will influence hospitals the most? For me, I can't eat the way some camps think I should, as it's detrimental to my health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
i had a hip replaced in 2008. I asked for a diabetic menu.. thinking it had the least amount of carbs, when in fact it was nothing but processed carbs.
very unhealthy. i don't see how anyone can maintain healthy insulin levels with the choices that were given me. i had food brought in.

I had the same experience. I even tried this on airlines when I was traveling constantly. One would think the diabetic menu would help keep BG low. No! It keeps it high due to the assumption that everyone is taking insulin, and the menu provides much sweet processed food to protect people from going hypo. Insane!