View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 10:48
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Today I reworked this recipe and baked it once again this morning, as I was out of bread! I think the changes are definitely for the better! Hubby liked it, too, hot out of the oven with just butter on it! I'm really liking what oat fiber does for all my baked goods! Really enjoying experimenting with this product. And it dropped the net carb count quite a bit when I redid the nutritional numbers! Here's the "new and improved" version and new pics: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...low-carb-bread/

INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. golden flax meal (or mixture golden and dark)
1/3 c. oat fiber (I order from Honeyvillegrains.com)
1 c. unflavored, unsweetened protein (mine=1 NC per 1/3 c.)
½ tsp. salt
1T + 1 tsp. baking powder
7 eggs
1 c. shredded Mozzarella, Jack or Parmesan Cheese
1/3 c. water
3 T. olive oil

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350º. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, water and oil. Stir until well blended. Line 13×15 sheet pan with parchment. You only need to oil/grease the edges of the pan. With a rubber spatula, spoon batter onto parchment, spreading from the center out to the edges, as evenly as possible. I sometimes sprinkle caraway seed over half the bread so I can have both types of bread: plain and rye. Bake for around 18 minutes (every oven is different), until center is dry and springs back when touched. Avoid over browning. Cool and cut into 12 equal slices. May be carefully sliced laterally to get to thin slices out of one slice!

I store this bread in a gallon plastic bag in the fridge until ready to use. It keeps about 2-3 weeks actually as I’ve never had a piece mold before it was used up. Can be toasted or rewarmed in the oven. This recipe rises enough that you can actually slice it laterally and get a sandwich (2 slices) out of each 1/12th slice of this bread! That really helps on the daily food limits! It freezes well but remember to never freeze bread longer than a month, ANY bread, low carb or otherwise.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 slices, each containing:

264 calories (not low-cal, but very low carb!)
20.15 g fat
11.4 g carbs
9.97 g fiber
1.43 g NET CARBS
16.8 g protein
307 mg sodium