View Single Post
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 09:58

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
HDL (“good cholesterol”) rose slightly on the Atkins diet but did not change after one year on the Ornish diet. However, not everything that raises HDL is good, which is summarized in a recent NEWSWEEK column, “The Garbage Trucks in Your Blood.” Your body makes HDL to get rid of excessive saturated fat and cholesterol in your diet. If you eat a stick of butter, your HDL will go up, but that doesn’t mean that butter is good for your heart. Pfizer recently had to stop a large trial of torcetrapib when it was found that this drug raised HDL but also increased the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

That is the most insulting, ridiculous, illogical thing I've ever read. Gee, I better start getting my HDL down or I'm going to die of a heart attack.
Is torcetrapib made from butter? Unbelievable how this guy twists words to suggest that "not everything that raises HDL is good".
The man obviously needs a steak.

Anecdotal at best, but I gained 30 pounds on a 1500 calorie/day diet.
I now maintain exactly the same weight (and have for 3 years) eating at least 2,000 calories/day. It has nothing to do with calories and everything to do with where those calories come from.
I believe in "energy in/energy out" when it comes to cars and gasoline, but not when it comes to Humans.