#3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 18:20

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterborou
About 2 years ago, I had great success, eating low carb. But then found out I had really high cholesterol. After watching the video "The Oiling of America I did not want to go onto lipid lowering drugs, So have been floundering. Now I have gained back my 35 pounds, and am a full fledged bread eater again. I believe I over did the butter and cheese the first time round . I want to try again, I would very much appreciate some support. When I come home from work I eat compulsively, It does not matter if it is low carb or high carb I seem to be driven to eat to sedation.
I am going to get rid of the carb foods that I have in the house and start again on the low carb diet. The Banting diet and the keto diet both ask you not to snack. That is the difficult thing for me. If anyone has a suggestion for me please feel free to respond. I am going to try to reach out instead of eating when tempted.

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum.

Regarding cholesterol: you might find this article interesting. Total cholesterol is pretty much meaningless, but it gets more interesting the deeper you dig. Trig/HDL ratio is supposed to be one of the best markers you can get from a basic lipid panel, in that it's inversely associated with LDL particle size. So if you're like me for example and have high LDL-C, but Trig/HDL is really low, then that tells me my LDL-Ps are all the big harmless fluffy kind. So nothing to really worry about.

Another name you might want to look up on YouTube or wherever is Dave Feldman. He was at Low Carb Breckenridge 2018 a few weeks ago and I'm sure he has a number of other presentations about cholesterol around the place as well.

Regarding snacking: I too got started with Banting, but I set myself a personal rule that I would never go hungry. Past attempts at losing weight had always failed for me because I just kept getting hungry. So I always made sure I ate whenever I was hungry, and conversely I would not eat if I wasn't. It took me maybe 2-3 months for the snacking to just stop of its own accord as I found I wasn't getting hungry so easily anymore. Based on this experience, I figure if you take it naturally like this, you'll be fine as long as whenever you do eat, it's strictly on-plan.