View Single Post
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 11:34

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I'm glad you're able to obtain high quality foods at a price you can afford. I think that's a really good healthy choice since you're able to do it. Here there are no such low prices on the organic grass-fed, and free range-fed chickens aren't a practical option for me. The neighbors managed to sneak in a small number of hens in a not very large yard (I don't know if it's even legal but support them in it) but they have to give them commercial feed, not much natural to eat in the yard. My experience is on a tight budget you have to pay your housing/utilities to survive and can only cut down just so much on usage. You have to pay your insurance, fuel and keep cars (old inexpensive ones in our case) running to get to work, etc. I read a "budgeting" article in some magazine and they suggest cutting out all the extras I didn't afford to start with--restaurant meals, TV programming, nice phones and clothes, etc. You get the idea. So what's left that's flexible spending? Food. If you have to keep down costs and have pretty much downsized all other spending you can, food. It's way cheaper to eat poor quality processed carbohydrates like store-brand bread, pastas, oatmeal, etc. Vegetables and fruit are expensive by comparison for the amount of fullness they provide. And even lower quality meat isn't a cheap food if you eat it often. So I totally get it why poor people who really are poor live that way, have poor health, etc. When I learned years ago how bad those carbs were for my health I started paying for some of those more expensive foods in exchange for better health, but meanwhile I hope Teaser's right about grain-fed products maybe not being too bad since that's what I can presently afford.
Edited to add: on a carnivore diet I'm eating a couple or more pounds of meat a day, so that adds up in cost pretty fast. End of meat price rant