View Single Post
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 15:22

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Some sort of sandwich bread has seemed like the Holy Grail to me as anything I tried just wasn't what I was looking for for one reason or another....until now.

Simple Sandwich Bun/Bread

1 egg
2 TB oat fiber
2 TB chia powder (seeds ground in Magic Bullet)
2 TB water
1/8 tsp salt
maybe a little sweetener such as 1/4 tsp sf syrup
1/2 tsp baking powder

Minute or so in micro.

It can be sliced into 3 or 2 and toasts "ok".

It's light in texture, and using My Plan, the oat fiber, a small egg and chia, has:

10.78 carbs, 7.34 protein, 6.70 fat, 10.53 fiber, 134 cals. Large egg would be a bit more.

I'm happier with a low cal bread because I'd rather get the cals/fat in the butter and stuff I put on it. Due to the fiber and protein, this has been a more "stick to my ribs" option than some other things I've tried, and did not spike my blood sugar, as opposed to say, yogurt which does by about 20 pts.

It can be made into a sweet muffin too, of course, with the addition of sweetener/spices and possibly changing the ratio of oat fiber to chia depending on density and size wanted. Adding protein powder is good in this too; makes for a more sturdy product but also makes it a bit more spongy and then it didn't toast as well.

I'm going on vacation this week to my mom's, aka "Extreme Carb Land" and I am so happy I will have this bread/muffin option while I'm there.

I think this could be considered a tweak of Ouzoid's English Muffin http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/l...ins-w-pics.html on Low Carb Friends as that was where I first saw a discussion resembling what I'm doing now so all credit to those mad bakers on that site!