View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 08:26

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

For us, getting HEADS of lettuce has proven problematic.

I haven't been inside the grocery stores b/c we decided we'd pay a little more and use curbside pick-up instead. The local grocery store (HEB) where I usually shop only allows curbside pickup to be scheduled up to two weeks in advance and they have not had a single curbside time slot available for the past week! I've been looking daily! I did manage to grab a curbside timeslot at an HEB 27 miles away...for APRIL 1st.

But, hubby was running out of salad greens and he eats a salad for one meal each day, so I needed to get some lettuce of some sort for him a bit quicker than that.

I finally decided to try Walmart when he was down only 1 or 2 servings of salad greens left. I don't usually shop Walmart for fresh foods b/c they're usually a bit more expensive than HEB and their produce never seems quite as fresh. But, Walmart had an available curbside pickup time-slot for the next afternoon.

In case they might be out of something, I ordered 2 heads of iceberg, 1 head of romaine, and 1 head of butter-head and 1 package of baby spinach. He eats salads once a day and I occasionally like to wrap a burger in lettuce or add a little spinach to an omelet. So I figured that even if they HAD all of it in stock, we'd be able to eat it all before it went bad.

Right before I was supposed to go get our order, I got an email from Walmart saying that they were out of some of my items, which I had rather expected. What I hadn't expected was that they were out of ALL of the salad greens I had ordered!
Instead, they substituted two 1 lb. bags of SHREDDED ICEBERG LETTUCE for the heads of iceberg lettuce I'd ordered. That was it. The other greens were just canceled.

I don't use bagged lettuce (except for spinach leaves) because I want to be able to rinse it before we eat it! ESPECIALLY NOW.

But those two bags of shredded lettuce were all I could get. And, by shredded, I mean that it looks like it had been put thru a paper shredder! I know bagged lettuce is supposedly already treated with chlorine water before being bagged but I'm leery.
And there is no way one can rewash shredded lettuce and ever get it dry again!

So, now I'm on the hunt for fresh lettuce... which means also trying to get another grocery curbside pickup time slot somewhere.

BTW - if you're concerned about possible pathogens on fresh produce, here is a https://www.lsu.edu/agriculture/pla...isinfection.pdf on how to use chlorine water (household bleach in water) to clean them. My mom always used to wash produce in bleach water when I was a kid but, up till now, I've always just rinsed in tap water.