#18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 22:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What kind of LC food do you have in your pantry. I know about canned fish like sardines, anchovies and tuna but what else is there for LC that is shelf stable?

Hi Meme ... I have had an extended period of no internet, thus my late response. My LC pantry includes quite a bit of canned fish; I don't use it often, but know it is there for a quick lunch if needed. I have home canned tuna & salmon, but also smoked oysters, anchovies, sardines, herring, etc. I also have somepickled herring in the fridge; home made, and for me alone, as DH doesn't care for it. I have various canned tomato products as well. I have many jars of poultry broth (bone broth) and some beef broth; many people keep these in their freezer; I have a pressure canner, and so make them shelf stable that way. I keep certain condiments, such as avocado mayo, mustard, tabasco, coconut aminos, fish sauce - the bottle I am using, as well as an extra on the pantry shelf. I prefer homemade mayo & mustard, but like to know I have an option, for emergencies. I have numerous jars of home dehydrated mushrooms; DH and I both are fond of mushrooms, but I am too cheap to spend top dollar for them, so wait until they are in season, and dry them. Still not cheap, but not so very expensive :-). I have some home dried veggies and fruits, the most useful being dried tomatoes, garlic, & onions. I have a large spice and herb shelf, this being one of my particular interests (we are both very fond of spicy foods from other nations). And, of course, a wide variety of teas (for us), and vacuum sealed jars of coffee beans (for guests). Occasionally I will have jars of fermenting veggies on the counter, and sometimes yogurt or buttermilk as well. I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting. I came into LC from a Whole Foods, frugal way of eating, and have mostly just changed my idea of what is appropriate food, but not my ideas of keeping a pantry, and preserving.
I'm finding that my Pantry Preparations are serving me well in the present circumstances. With my pantry shelves, and full freezer, I have only needed to shop for eggs (from a local farmer), and bread for DH (and some beer for my German DH, to keep him from getting too desperate).
Stay well