#9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/143/125
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Tara

I am not sure when I developed PCOS, but was diagnosed in 1999. We had been trying to have a baby at that time for about 2 years and had already had one pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage. My PCP sent me to a RE and they did testing and all that jazz and said I had "hyperinsulinemia" and PCOS. They gave me a couple of pamphlets and that was it. Didn't really explain what PCOS was except to say that I produce small cysts in my ovaries instead of a follicle or embryo. I had no idea about the "hyperinsulinism", but after researching it a little bit, knew they were talking about IR. I am still taking the chrom and mag as usual, and have been LC' ing since November. I was reading a book about infertility and how nutrition affects fertility. The book talked about Atkins, and how they had a good philosophy going pertaining to helping PCOS/IR. I started LCing in November because I finally realized there was something I could do about my fertility and thought I should take action if no one else was going to bat on my behalf. I wanted to loss some weight, too, and had tried MANY different kinds of diets, but always found that they really didnt work for me. I LOVE to eat, and knew I could never be on a diet that made me hungry all the time, or had me doing 2 hours of exercise a day. I was stuck in the "low fat" mentality and never lost weight with it. Although I will say it was a TON easier to be low-fat that it is to be LC because it hasn't quite caught on yet. You can go anywhere and get low-fat, but LC is harder to come buy and it seems a lot more expensive, too. I will continue to LC as long as I feel it is what is best for my body. Somethings are great for everyone else, but not always good for me. I am not a strict LC-er. 95% of he time, I will watch what I eat and be sensible, but if we are going out to dinner or something and we eat at Applebees, I love their chocolate walnut blondie and will order it. I will split it with my husband, but still eat some. I can't deprive myself of the things I love. But I also know that I will always want to eat bread and other starchy foods, and I always have. If it gets out of hand and I can't stop thinking about it or something like that, I cut it out of my diet. I don't want food to control me - ever! I am still at about 140 lbs or so, and would like to lose more by summer, but feel that the chrom is what has helped me to lose the 10-15 lbs I have. I also walk about 2 miles, 3 times a week or as often as I can. That to me is about being healthy, too. If I remain at 140 lbs, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. When I REALLY am ready to lose the weight, and can make that commitment, then I will.
I am not as concerned with having PCOS/IR as I am with getting a straight answer from somebody. It makes no difference to me whether I have it or not, I just want an answer. I feel like I am in limbo. I have based my decision to LC on PCOS/IR, though. If I don't have it, what is wrong with me? Not ovulating is not normal! It's just sad that we have spent so much money getting to this point, and now the possibility of starting over is just unbelievable. I don't know if I can handle the torment anymore. My plan is to follow through with this Dr. and see where it takes me. Seeing another RE will hopefully put me back on the right track.
Will keep you posted!
Chele