Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 04:31
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiorix
and I have noticed no mood change at all - I am still a grumpy, tired, woman. I think that is more to do with sleep deprivation than mimeral deficiencies though!
The Effect of Melatonin, Magnesium, and Zinc on Primary Insomnia

I supplement with both magnesium and melatonin and I think we need to improve Melatonin secretion BEFORE we go to bed and get BRIGHT LIGHT (outdoor sunlight) exposure during the day to improve circadian rhythm.
I think the natural decline is both vitamin D synthesis and melatonin secretion as we age is to a large extent avoidable (we can expose more skin to sunlight, we can make sure older folk get more bright light during the day) and where this isn't possible both Time Release Melatonin and Vitamin D3 are cheap and readily available from the US discount supplement providers.
There are plenty of other ways of improving sleep hygiene. Eye Mask Ear Plugs may be the answer for some.
But magnesium deficiency leads to increased iron uptake and iron behaving badly causes oxidation which drives mitochondrial dysfunction and the ageing process. Both vitamin D and melatonin are neuro-protective and they protect mitochondrial from oxidative stress.