#9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-01, 23:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Joe,

Nothing is wrong with Dimpfilmier toast. It just took me back about 25 years to when I lived in Waterloo. It was nice to experience it again in memory. Ahhhhh...such a great taste, smell and texture.

I'll assume that a great majority who want to take on this way of eating is an addict.

Alcohol can be addictive and it's not necessary to consume it to live. Narcotics can be addictive and it's not necessary to consume them to live. Sugar can be addictive and it's not necessary to consume it to live.

Why do these substances have so much pull and attraction for us? Because we've become addicted to them. A phrase from 12 step programs crosses my mind - food/alcohol/narcotics; cunning, baffling, powerful. Look at all the people who when they consume carbs while on this WOE instantly regret it, feel guilty and ashamed. They will say they don't know why they did it. They couldn't help it, will never do it again etc. It is exactly the same as an alcoholic or a junkie who is trying to give it up talking. What makes it OK is that it's socially acceptable to drink 7-11 Slushies while driving in your car.

I agree that it would be (and is) very hard for most people to give up their old eating habits, because they have to shed their old selves along with it. In the written script of our lives, each day becomes the past, it's not the future unless you write yourself in as the fat lady singing.

Joe, I'm really enjoying this discussion with you and ruminating on and questioning the low-carb experience. Thanks!

Karen