#11   ^
Old Fri, May-10-24, 07:21

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The lowest group had three daily servings? No controls? If everyone is eating junk how can we tell?

Well there's also their erratic definition of what constitutes UPF.

Quote:
The highest risks were associated with the most processed meats such as sausages and ham. Regular consumers of such products had a 13 per cent higher chance of dying over the 34 years tracked.

Might as well just say pork in general, because even though ham has preservatives, sausage isn't necessarily cured - breakfast sausage is just ground and seasoned pork, no preservatives necessary. Why weren't pork chops or ribs included in this category?
Quote:
Diets high in sugary and artificially sweetened drinks had a 9 per cent increased risk, the study found.

But diets high in sugary and artificially sweetened desserts didn't have the same effect?

And if both sugary drinks and artificially sweetened drinks have the exact same effect, maybe it's not the sugar or artificial sweetener - maybe it's some other component of the drinks.

Quote:
Overall, those eating diets with a high proportion of packaged goods and snacks were found to have a 4 per cent higher risk of death over the period. Such foods have already been linked with obesity, heart disease, diabetes and bowel cancer.

If I eat an individual donut or bagel from the bakery case, it's apparently fine since it's not a packaged food.

If I buy a bag of frozen strawberries - oops bad, because it's packaged.

If I open a bag of spinach to cook for dinner - that's packaged, and therefore bad.

If I bake a cake or pie from scratch, it's fine because it's not packaged.

I realize what they MEAN is if you're eating cookies and candy and donuts all day, it's bad - doesn't matter whether they were packaged or not.

What they MEAN is if you're eating fruits and vegetables, it's good - doesn't matter if they're fresh, frozen, or canned.

Quote:
Overall, those with the highest intake of ultra-processed foods – an average of seven servings daily – had a four per cent higher risk than those in the lowest group, which consumed an average of three daily servings.

The strongest links were found between meat, poultry and seafood ready-to-eat products, such as sausages, ham, hot dogs, convenience meals and processed snacks.

These were followed by sugary and artificially sweetened soft drinks and then by dairy-based desserts.

Of course they have an aversion to animal products in general.

But they also specify ready to eat versions of meat, poultry and seafood...

Ready to eat meats might include jerky or beef sticks. Or maybe it's including fast food burgers - which as we know are mostly bread.

Ready to eat poultry - rotisserie chickens? I can't think of any others right off hand, unless you're buying pulled and shredded chicken from rotisserie chickens. Or maybe they're including KFC, because that's ready to eat.

What seafood ready to eat products are there? Pre-cooked shrimp cocktail rings? Packaged tuna salad with crackers "lunches"? (which are mostly white flour crackers with seed oils, and seed oil based mayo) And of course Filet O' Fish sandwiches.

And dairy based desserts - why not just come right out and say ice cream?

They generalize far too much - my guess is that it's in order to demonize animal products in general.