#10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-24, 15:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Champ, way back when writing as The Caveman Doctor, was the doctor who most influenced me to take the seriousness of just being fat, an overweight BMI, as the biggest modifiable risk to prevent a cancer reoccurrence.

-Fat mass produces an overabundance of hormones and inflammatory chemicals that work against our immune system and metabolism. Are we minimizing it?

Highly recommend his website, research papers and monthly newsletter.
Especially good for debunking the myths around the Ketogenic Diet and Cancer.
https://colinchamp.com/the-ketogeni...-stand-in-2018/

I look forward to receiving emails from Colin Champ. With the utmost respect for all on this forum. I suggest that the Colin Champ reference where he is claimed to be debunking be read very carefully, as I see differences with a few of the conclusions discussed on this thread. The thing to keep in mind is that the findings to date are very nuanced among those actually carrying out the research. So when I hear information from those selling subscriptions to dietary approaches, I want to find additional information from those actually conducting the research before I buy what's being sold.

The quest to chase lower blood glucose is an admirable one in the absence of being able to easily measure insulin at home based on diet. However, there are limitations to glucose readings, and it's not always a marker for good/bad health and certainly not an indicator that the measures being taken to fight or prevent cancer are working. The interesting thing is that all can be right to a degree, but the degree to which one would make lifestyle changes means everything, and we've not got a set of fundamentally sound recommendations that when applied to everyone, will have the same results. Yes, we are all snowflakes . . .

Here's an interesting presentation by Dr. Champ in October of the same year (2018) when he wrote the article referenced (January):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCK6t966xx0

Here's another by Dr. Thomas Seyfried who is doing cancer research and has occasionally cited Dr. Champ's papers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIUi8_rWBlA

The curious thing about debunking keto is that many have an alternative that they are selling. That's fine, and I respect that, but for the many who have found that being in fat burning mode regularly helps to maintain a healthy weight and can function as a prevention for metabolic disease, these facts can't be discounted. It appears that what originally started as a protocol to improve health by reducing carbs has now developed opposing camps. In reality, the lifestyle that I lead may not work well for many, so I have no right to claim that my way is the answer for anyone else but me. But it has worked very well. Chasing a specific blood glucose level before I'm able to eat, not so much when speaking from direct experience.