View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-24, 05:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Low-carb diets work brilliantly for a short time. However, if you skimp on vegetables – prioritising protein and fat -and get too little fibre (only found in carbohydrates) – you raise your risk of bowel cancer, heart disease and stroke.

A healthy low-carb diet means being rigorous about getting enough fruit, vegetables, pulses, and fibre, all of which are healthy carbs. So you’d need to add spinach, mushrooms, kidney beans and onions to your omelette, or eat braised lentils and asparagus with your fish. But most low-carb devotees aren’t doing that.

Nonsense!!!!

Fruit is NOT a requirement. Vegetables cover everything fruit covers. Fruits used to be seasonal. Only a few lasted a few months in storage at best. Modern controlled climate extends storage, ie. apples a year. And availability.

I like the veg list that has been shown to be anti cancer. Dr Lee's work developed this list: like tea, berries, mushrooms and more. Many are suitable for a vlc diet.

We can include veggies that feed our microbes in the GI. This is a growing area of study. Happy healthy populations of a variety of gi microbes are linked to many areas of health physically, and mentally.

As for " most dont do that" inferring veggies are eliminated, that put the diet in the "carnivore" category.

We need good long term studies on carnivore. Until then I can say with certainty that my eyesight improved noticeably during dawn and dusk. I had become reluctant to be out and about on the farm cone dusk. Not anymore!! One month of semi- carnivore changed my eyesight. ( semi meaning two weeks of just meat, off track then just meat the last week.)

There is a place for "carnivore" as its the ultimate elimination diet. Dr Atkins discusses elimination diet in detail in DANDR.

Also about fruit. Fructose can only be processed in the liver and can pose problems when eating too much fruit. We are not bears that then hibernate,needing every possible method to store fat, including the liver.

As Im high risk for colon cancer, there are many factors that seem to affect the growth of polyps. Imho fasting plays a part as well as diet itself. Carnivore can be a means of weight loss, or use OMAD, or 48hr fast, or very low carb which includes carefully selected veggies for their anti cancer benefit.