View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-24, 12:01

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Reminds me of how people didn't die from peanut allergy in such large numbers until they started long term storage which encouraged fungal growth. That is what causes more people to be labeled with a peanut allergy when it might be the fungal content.

I'd read a while back that they were recommending avoiding giving children anything at all with peanuts in it until they were... 4 years old (? or something like that - can't remember the exact age - but it was a few years of age). There had been peanut allergies before that of course, but the rate of severe peanut allergies exploded in children who were not given any peanut containing foods until a later age.

So then they changed the recommendations again and suggested introducing children to peanut products at a much younger age (1 year maybe? Again, I can't recall the age), and those kids were having no problems with peanuts.

Whether it's a fungal problem or the peanuts themselves, then surely that would affect the children given peanuts at a younger age... unless it's a matter of familiarity with a potential allergen at a younger age that helps build up tolerance to an allergen.

(I'd need to google around a bit to see what the latest is on it - my kids are in their 30's and 40's and it does not currently look like either will be having children, so the matter was not of vital importance to me at the time, therefore I didn't delve further into it back when I first saw that the recommendations had changed, then changed again)