#5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-24, 19:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

Getting back to the original topic of fast food/takeaway joints being killed off by weight loss drugs ....

Um, no. Maybe they'll need to make menu changes, such as smaller portions .. especially smaller buns/carbs or offer lettuce wraps instead of buns .. which they're already doing now. They'll just need to offer it more widely.

My hope is that this will kill the "super size" "monster size" trend. Truth is .. the protein portion has never changed .. 4 oz (a.k.a. quarter pound) beef patty or grilled chicken breast hasn't changed. It's the giNORmous bun (carbs!!) that's grown over the years. And the super-sized fries and other sides, such as onion rings. And OMG, the super-sized sugary drinks, takes both hands to raise it to your mouth!! .. although the sugar-free versions are now scientifically shown to have negative health effects.

Sigh

For folks taking the GLP1-agonist drugs such as Wegovy and Ozempic, the issue is appetite reduction, a.k.a. anorexia. They've grown up with Micky D, Harvey's or KFC. Basically comfort foods. The drug might make them feel nauseous all the time, so they're more likely to turn to their favourite comfort foods ... a.k.a. fast foods. Prepping fresh meat and peeling/chopping vegetables is not appealing. Especially if they have a busy lifestyle.

Anyway .. my thought is the fast food and takeaway outlets have nothing to worry about per se. They just need to change their menus, especially to offer smaller portions that emphasize protein and less cheap carbs (buns, croutons, chips and carby sides such as rice or potatoes), I think that will benefit everyone, not just folks taking weight loss drugs.