Old Wed, Dec-13-23, 11:28

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
The advertisers support the media.

Therefore, most of what you see/read in the media, is either an overt or a covert ad.

If the corporation doesn't make more money this quarter than the last, and more than that in the next one, ad infinitum, the stockholders will sell their stock. Why own stock that doesn't increase in value?

But perpetual growth is impossible. So they do what they can for as long as they can.

I am old enough to remember "Three out of four doctors recommend Camel cigarettes." And I remember bogus tests that showed how the cigarette eased tensions, and promoted weight loss.

I've seen people calling themselves Doctors publish articles in the press that make you think that you need sugar in your diet or you will be sick.

Unless the article is published in a peer-reviewed , professional journal, I consider it highly suspect. And if it is peer-reviewed, I'm still skeptical, just not AS skeptical.

Bob

Actually the claims that smoking helped with weight loss was true.

As pointed out in one of the other threads on here, it worked by keeping smoker's mouths busy with non-food, keeping their hands busy with the cigarette itself, and the smoke altered their sense of taste and smell so that food didn't taste all that good, so they were less inclined to eat when they weren't really hungry. So yeah, they were able to lose weight by taking up smoking.

ETA: Oh and smoking did ease tensions to a certain extent, since anyone trying to quit smoking (or even cut back on smoking) would definitely go through a sort of withdrawal. Maybe not the kinds of withdrawal symptoms associated with heroin, but they would certainly be tense from not getting their nicotine "hit".