#3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 09:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Speaking of which, I got oppo research!

Quote:
On vegan diets and brain nutrients—some unsettling research reports in a (surprisingly) still murky research area

The vegan diet is low in—or, in some cases, entirely devoid of—several important brain nutrients. Could these shortcomings be affecting vegan’s ability to think?

https://www.ilri.org/news/vegan-die...ere%20deficient

From International Livestock Research Institute. Of course

Quote:
‘On the one hand, recent concern about the nutritional gaps in plant-based diets has led to a number of alarming headlines, including a warning that they can stunt brain development and cause irreversible damage to a person’s nervous system. Back in 2016, the German Society for Nutrition went so far as to categorically state that—for children, pregnant or nursing women, and adolescents—vegan diets are not recommended, which has been backed up by a 2018 review of the research. In Belgium, forcing a vegan diet on your offspring could land you a spell in prison.

This is frightening, because mostly it's younger women falling for the plant-based message, and then applying it to their children. Also, senior women seem susceptible to the health claims, while men -- in my age group and experience -- just eat what they want until they get scared.

Fortunately, I scared my guy early with a blood glucose meter, and he's been on his own journey.

Quote:
‘. . . [A study of Kenyan schoolchildren that suggested that meat consumption gives children a cognitive edge] does raise intriguing questions about whether veganism could be holding some people back.

‘In fact, there are several important brain nutrients that simply do not exist in plants or fungi. Creatine, carnosine, taurine, omega-3, haem iron and vitamins B12 and D3 generally only occur naturally in foods derived from animal products, though they can be synthesised in the lab or extracted from non-animal sources such as algae, bacteria or lichen, and added to supplements.

‘Others are found in vegan foods, but only in meagre amounts; to get the minimum amount of vitamin B6 required each day (1.3 mg) from one of the richest plant sources, potatoes, you’d have to eat about five cups’ worth (equivalent to roughly 750g or 1.6lb). . . .

My italics because vegans who supplement also get into trouble. Some of them can't take the pills, and have to get regular B-12 shots. Usually after they've gone blind or can no longer walk. Sometimes that comes back. Sometimes it does not.

But it doesn't scare them. This isn't on a foundation of science and sincerity. It's about big money joining up with those with a religious agenda. And if that doesn't scare you silly, you haven't read anough history yet.

Quote:
In fact, the holes in our current understanding of what the brain needs to be healthy could potentially be a major problem for vegans, since it’s hard to artificially add a nutrient to your diet, if scientists haven’t discovered its worth yet.

This is exactly like growing those vegetables with artificial fertilizers. We can only put in what we know is missing.