View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-22, 02:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Grocery Prices and a Protein Pinch?

Anyone else feeling this? I've always been pretty frugal with groceries, but yikes.

What's gone way up in price in your area? For DH and I, the main things I notice are some of the fresh meats, deli meats, eggs, hard cheese, and buns (for hubs). Beef is ridiculous. I splurged on $10 worth of marked down striploin steaks a few weeks ago and they were awful. I would have been happier with $10 worth of ground beef for burgers.

Prices of some of my staples have stayed about the same: the cottage cheese and Greek yogurt I buy, canned corned beef, tuna, whey protein powder, and ground poultry. Needless to say, we're eating more of that.

I've doubled down on making sure I plan based on buying loss leaders at various stores. I've also figured out my stores' best times for getting the markdowns. Yes, I WILL buy that tub of cottage cheese for 50% off a few days before it expires - because it'll disappear in 3 days.

I'm also really gaming loyalty plans, namely PC Optimum points and offers. I don't like the privacy sacrifice, but I really don't care that they see I buy mostly meats, veggies, toilet paper, detergent and what not. They have occasional promotions where your points are worth more, so we wait until then to spend them.

Gas is an obvious cost increase for a lot of folks, but luckily, that hasn't hit us directly. I don't drive and DH works from home. I bet a lot of other folks here in the GTA are hit hard by higher interest rates on their mortgages. Housing prices here are absurd now, we likewise lucked out buying back when we did.

If you're interested, I started another thread a couple of years ago on this topic: Protein Prioritization for Po' People. I still apply my rule-of-thumb of aiming for a about a dollar or so per serving of 20 g protein.
Sponsored Links