View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 07:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I hope these guys get to do a bigger study. The meal programs are interesting--some of the keto recipes look like I might actually try them. I've done weird stuff with cauliflower and mio/koolaid type sugar free drink flavouring before, for a sort of cooked fruit feel, the cauliflower/pecan oatmeal looks interesting.

I see both a disadvantage and an advantage here--having such a well-fleshed out program right down to recipes takes out the guess work. And you can't criticize them for not making the keto 'keto' enough--they go right down to counting out raspberries. Blood ketones don't look all that high, but there was some weight loss going on, it's hard to say what would happen once body weight stabilized for a long period if the diet stayed the same.

I also like that there doesn't seem to be a strong bias here, or at least it doesn't seem to have made it into the write up. I get the feeling they would have been just as happy to report greater improvements in the low fat group as in the ketogenic group.

I'm schizoaffective bipolar. Been eating some sort of Atkins approximate approach for over ten years, more towards the ketogenic end for the last five years or so. Did better on Atkins than on the SAD, but had some residual auditory hallucinations that showed up when I was using loud machinery, that disappeared after I did a fairly long stint on a strict ketogenic approach--around 4:1, like the classic ketogenic diet for epilepsy, but I backed down to something more like 3:1 fat to carbs/protein grams. I tend to get more anxious when I go out of ketosis, especially socially. I have found it useful when being strict to have some set go-to meals that I know the ratios for.

But thinking back--on low fat, when I was dieting, that often brought me 'up' as well, although you have to be careful with bipolars--was I up because of the diet, or was I finally dieting, low fat like I thought you ought to at the time, partly because I was a bit hypomanic, or at least more up than down, in the first place? With the keto effects on mood I'm fairly certain, because I can pretty much steer things one way or the other with the diet with a good deal of predictability.

Sorry to hijack...