View Single Post
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-20, 09:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Blood sugar control and COVID-19

Dysfunctional metabolic link to immune system becomes clearer.

Quote:
How Blood Sugar Can Trigger a Deadly Immune Response in the Flu and Possibly COVID-19

Glucose metabolism plays a key role in the cytokine storm seen in influenza, and the link could have potential implications for novel coronavirus infections

Many of the people dying in the novel coronavirus pandemic appear to be harmed more by their own immune system than by the virus itself. The infection can trigger a cytokine storm—a surge in cell-signaling proteins that prompt inflammation—that hits the lungs, attacking tissues and potentially resulting in organ failure and death. But this phenomenon is not unique to COVID-19; it sometimes occurs in severe influenza, too. Now a study sheds light on one of the metabolic mechanisms that help orchestrate such runaway inflammation.

I have been a year and four months into throwing out management of my autoimmune condition with drugs. My experience convinced me that Dr Teresa Wahls is on the right track with diet.

People seem to die from cytokine storms when they have a dysfunctional immune system. Not an "overactive" one. That's the mistake they will continue to make in jumping in with drugs instead of making people healthy.

Quote:
iven the role of glucose in the pathway, could a person’s diet have an effect on his or her response to a viral infection? “That’s a very good question,” Wen says. “At this moment, I think it’s too early to make a judgment [about whether] a special diet can fight against virus infection.” What scientists do know is that people with type 2 diabetes are more susceptible to severe flu infections. But that risk is not because they have higher glucose levels in their blood. The real reason, Wen says, is that they cannot use glucose effectively—and thus cannot initiate a proper antiviral response.

Ultimately, the hope is that by interfering with this glucose metabolism pathway, we might be able to stave off the deadly cytokine storms seen in severe cases of flu or COVID-19. But Lu’s team has not yet done studies in people. “At the moment, we do not have data in patients demonstrating the effect of interference with energy metabolism,” he says. “It is too early to make a conclusion about the potential clinical use.”