#34   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-19, 21:13

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
Yes, it gets easier over time, as our diet becomes more routine to us and we're more used to eating this way than the way we used to eat. But it still takes ongoing, serious, day-in, day-out commitment. That's hard. Really hard.

There was someone on the fb OA page that I wanted to slap. She said she tried giving up wheat & sugar but "it was too hard with everyone around me eating it." Whine. Whine.

Of course it's hard! I'm diabetic & like Bob, I have to keep my carbs below 20, as well as my protein below 65g. I can't give up unless I want to die a very painful death due to diabetic complications.

I gave up for a while last year & regained about 40 pounds. Why? Because my favorite donkey was sick & the vet said he'd be dead in a couple months. But eating too much, letting my bg get too high, & gaining weight did nothing for Leo (who, by the way, recovered in spite of the diagnosis).

Not being totally stupid I learned from that. I won't let emotions control my eating - & I've had a couple of real-life tests since then.

Of course, sliding into complacency & eating "just a little" off-plan is harder to spot. Which is why I write down everything I eat. When I'm really organized (not too often, I'm afraid) I write down what I plan to eat.

A while back I read a quote that resonated with me: One reason people resist change is because they focus on what they have to give up instead of what they have to gain. (Rick Godwin)

I've always been a foodie & having to give up my homemade bread & other carby goodies really hurt. It took me a LONG time to learn to cook wonderfully tasty low carb food. Now that I look forward to lovely veggies, eggs, & meat made with butter, olive oil, & toasted sesame oil, I don't miss the bread all that much. Tho I can still be tempted, so I won't allow it in the house.

And then there are the deathless words of Thud: STOP EATING SHIT! Amen brother! At the Thanksgiving dinner we went to today, there were people all around me eating shit - I mean, previously frozen apple pie with cool whip? But I kept carbs & protein low & felt good. Sometimes a little yelling helps, even if it's just in my head.