#150   ^
Old Sat, May-25-19, 16:07
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%
Default A Side-by-side Comparison of CAC Score Details

Here are all the numbers from both scans...

------------------------------------------------------
SCAN DATES - - - - - - - - - - - 01/2017 -- 05/2019
-----------------------------------------------------
LEFT MAIN (LM) - - - - - - - -- - 16.69 - -
LEFT ANTERIOR DESCENDING (LAD)-- 101.13 - - 15.23
LEFT CIRCUMFLEX (LCX) - - - - - - 64.57 - - 59.24
RIGHT CORONARY ARTERY (RCA) -- - 164.31 - - 84.01
TOTAL AGATSTON SCORE - - - - - - 346.70 -- 158.48
PERCENTILE RANKING FOR MY AGE - - - 91% - - 75%
TOTAL VOLUME SCORE*- - - - - - - 270.38 - - 74.22

* The volume scores may not be comparable. On the 2017 report it says that "the volume score can be useful for comparison with follow-up examinations." On that first report the volume score is shown as mm cubed. The 2019 report is a completely different layout than the 2017 report, though much of the content is the same. On the 2019 report they list the volume score as square mm. Different units of measure? That doesn't make sense. I'll call the lab next week to ask about that. If the units of measure are stated correctly on both reports, then the two numbers above are not comparable.

Also -- the 2019 report didn't show a Left Main (LM) number. Where the 2017 report added up 4 numbers to get the Total Agatston Score the 2nd report only summed up the 3 numbers. I question that drop in my LAD. Perhaps their software screwed up. The number with the LAD would make more sense to the right of the LM number. Perhaps the LAD score is missing? IDK. I didn't get much feedback from my cardiologist. When I call the radiology lab this week I'll ask about this change in the report, too.

Rob - I thought about submitting these reports to DD for an opinion or for a possible write-up. But I agree with thud that a 3rd scan - maybe 2 years from now - would help confirm the accuracy of these two scans. I'd hate to be a black eye for the DD reputation should the trend be significantly different two years from now. I have no plans to change my lifestyle in any significant way. If what I have done for the past 2 years is clearing calcium from my arteries, then I would expect to see a lower score in 2021. Maybe my doctor will allow me another follow-up in 2020, but I doubt it.

I might pass these reports on to the DD and ask him to forward them on to Dr. Bret Scher - the low carb cardiologist that I met in SD last summer. Maybe he can shed more insight on my results and a write-up from him would be more credible that anything I could put together.