View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 04:38

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Breast cancer runs on my maternal side. All of the women are/were either overweight or obese and sedentary.

My mil is a survivor and she's thin and eats a fairly balanced diet. We spend a lot of time together, eat together frequently, and she eats veggies, locally raised meats, small amounts of dairy, they raise their own eggs etc. She's also active, doesn't drink at all, doesn't smoke etc. Her 'healthy' eating habits and lifestyle didn't mean anything, she still got cancer. There's also no family history for her, it was a total fluke.

I know the odds are stacked against me with my family history. But, they were stacked against me too for getting type 2 diabetes, and I'm the only one in my family who's reversed the progression of prediabetes. I'm also the only one in my family who's maintained a large weight loss long term, (my younger sister, a WW follower, is a couple years behind me in maintenance, is doing really well as well).

Cancer sucks. We can try and stack the odds in our favor to try to prevent it, but really there's only so much we can do. My husband's grandfather has lung cancer-he's never smoked. That's life