#4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 15:07

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
OH man! I think of exercise as a four letter word. (and I sometime use those exact words while doing it!!!)

I know I can do better, but it has to have a meaning. Getting something accomplished while exercising.
Give me some ideas....

I just can't hamster wheel and get nowhere. I don't see the point.
I'm with you on the four letter words! God, it can be boring. I don't know your life...so it's a bit hard to make suggestions. Plus, I'm no expert. I started this because I was doing absolutely nothing and was trying to get motivated to do something other than nothing.

Do you commute on transit? Can you walk part way by walking to a place where you pick up a transfer or to a further stop? Or get off earlier?

Do you have kids? Can you play with the kids at the park instead of just supervising?

What about volunteering to walk dogs at your local animal shelter?

Spring cleaning? Yard work? Community garden?

Take a dance class through your parks and rec? Mine offers everything from salsa to belly dancing. Or take a class to learn to play tennis or golf.

Is there something you'd like to do, but need to be in better shape to do it? You could set some related goals, so it doesn't feel so much like generic "hamster wheel."

I'm alternating between two very short (under 15 minutes) workouts from these books:
Bodyweight Strength Training
The Pilates Body
I'd recommend both. The Pilates Body is great, definitely 5-star and it progresses through modified beginner, beginner, intermediate and advanced, so it works for everyone. Bodyweight Strength Training is more of a 3-1/2 star, but that's mainly because of some irritations about how it's organized. The fitness test that they had you do before you started was too advanced for me and I thought I'd really made a mistake with the book. But the beginner workout is okay for someone with a zero level of fitness, if you just do what you can and keep at it.

Also, I'd say the goal is to do something every day, not necessarily the same thing, so mix it up if that works for you. Think of it more as developing a habit rather than trying to do the things the fitness articles say you should.