View Single Post
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 13:12

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Dr. Perlmutter is blatantly anti-drug for ADHD, so I wonder about his bias here.

As someone who has lived with ADHD my entire life, but was not diagnosed until well into adulthood, I will tell you that drugs are a god-send to me and many others. I hate this attitude that some people and doctors have that "drugs are bad, by default."

Yes, changing my diet and eating low-carb is an extraordinary management tool for ADHD, and I tout the benefits of it to others with ADHD all the time. For some people with very mild ADHD, it may be one of the only management tools they need. Sure, high-carb diets can cause some symptoms that mimic ADHD, but they don't cause ADHD, which is a biological condition. Going low-carb won't ever cure my ADHD and some of the more serious executive function failures that I have because of it.

A number of drugs that work on these neural pathways (ADHD meds, SSRIs) have side effects that cause muscle twitches and these studies are obviously seeing this. I've had them, but they've always been mild enough just to be an irritation--the benefits of the drugs far out-weighed this irritation. I know others have really thought they were problematic. But I've never heard of them not going away when the drugs are stopped, so I question whether the claim or implication that they're causing Parkinson's.