View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-19, 09:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Needless to say, I am startled at how the nutrition camps have set up, and some are unwilling to admit that epidemiological studies can't be used to indict any food as a root cause to poor health. Rather, they have their preferences and biases and conveniently use weak information as gospel to support their preferences.

A few observations:
1) Recently, we are hearing more and more from the plant-based advocates considering the recent EAT-Lancet paper and other dietary recommendations.
2) Red meat is still characterized as unhealthy and Roizen even stated that consumption would shorten lifespan. This is based on no, zero rigorous studies that can definitively isolate red meat as a health risk.
3) Nothing they stated on the radio show was based on anything other than epidemiological information. They were never asked, but I'm guessing they couldn't cite any RCTs that could get to isolating red meat as a causative factor of poor health. It's all correlation with so many confounding variables involved that we're still making up stuff that's interpreted as facts.
4) Why the dairy negative bias? It appeared to fit into the logic that saturated fats are bad, so dairy falls into that category.
5) They vilified coconut oil and characterized it as very dangerous since MCTs can cross the blood-brain barrier and bring inflammation and other deficits to brain functioning. While they didn't come out and state it (at least during the time I was listening), the implication of coconut oil consumption is that it plays a role in developing AD, dementia, and other neurological conditions due to its consumption.

Rob, you sum things up so well.

1. Im hearing more and more on the TV and utube ads for the support of vegetarian diets. Partly supported because we do not have enough food fr everyone and the meat animal eat those grains AND are vilified for polluting the atmosphere with greenhouse gasses. Nothing is ever said about the HUMAN population as a factor.

2/3. My current understanding of meat is that commercially raised/processed meats are NOT what we used to eat. When livestock can walk around the fields and eat at will, the overall product we then consume is far different than the commercially fed and raised livestock. My chickens are great bug hunters....
From what I have studied, the vitamin content of meat is very low, and the make up of the fats are radically different ( the ratio of omega 3's and 6's for example, where the omega 6's cause much inflammation, and that is primarily what we eat now.)

4. Dairy. Again many changes here from how they ere raised a few generations ago. European dairy cattle are raised on grass still! OUr milk products contain ANTIBIOTICS. In every mouthful. It is ultrapasturized, too. As well as the change in omega 3's and omeags 6's, raw milk has a very different profile of characteristics.

5. Dr May I think it was, used CO to treat her husband during his long bout with ALzheimers, because CO has the same chemical as the drug used in an ALzheimers trial. That seems to contradict the anti CO angle.

ANyway......