#99   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 15:07

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
So-called Chinese food is an entirely American invention, which is where we get the sugary sauces and breaded meats.

Mr WereBear, when he's feeling up to it, learned to cook from the show Yan Can Cook, and the real Chinese stuff tends toward bite-sized pieces of meat and veg, stir fried, and with very piquant (in Hunan and Szechuan, quite hot) sauces. Most of the real Chinese cooking has no wheat flour at all, except the regions who grow wheat, and have noodles.

I always thought that, too, but I don't think it's true after talking to a friend who is a Chinese food expert. Chinese cooking has been a highly developed cuisine linked to wealth. Everything about it is unhealthy from the sugar and grains to the fact that everything is cut up small (leads to jaw issues). And it is like that in China, too, except for the poor (my friend grew up in a very poor village) It is a cuisine of civilization (ie. chronic disease) that Americans have somehow been able to market as "healthy" via transforming it into just stir fry meat and vegetables which is not really the authentic high cuisine. Szechuan cooking almost always has sugar, as far as I know - traditionally. A lot of China bases its cuisine on wheat. It is the staple in the north.