#10   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 04:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 279.4/268.8/140 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeH20

1. Tape measure. Measuring those body parts regularly. For me every, 2 weeks. Often when the scale is not yielding, you are actually getting smaller.

2. NSVs. Non-scale victories. Feeling better. Being able to walk further or go up the stairs without losing your breath(this was a huge one for me). Staying X number of days on plan. Smaller clothing sizes. Compliments from other people. I record them all in my journal and a small note book. I read them when I get discouraged to see how far I have actually come.

3. Mental shift. Making a commitment to self-love. Part of that to me is fueling my body with things it needs to be healthy. That carby "treat" might taste good and give me momentary pleasure, but it is not really in my best interest. Cheating only really cheats myself. Cheats me out of the good health I need to do what I want in life. But also, the self love to know that if I make a mistake, I don't throw in the towel. I immediately get back on track. Not the next day or week. Now. Loving myself enough to forgive and move on. This can be hard when we've had people looking down on us because of our weight for many, many years. Sometimes we don't feel worthy, but we are!

4. Mental shift. Time is a gift. Here is the thing: we TDC people have been given a gift. It takes us more time to lose the weight. The time it takes is a gift, because we develop consistent healthy eating patterns over the long term. It takes a long time to build healthy habits. Once we get used to eating healthful, it will be easier to continue and maintain past our weight loss goal. We are using our time to overcome using food as a reward and a comfort. We learn other ways than eating to deal with stress. 15 months and 107 pounds lost, but I am still not to goal. I am looking at it this way. There must be still some lessons I need to learn before I get to goal.

5. Mental shift. Celebrate. Be proud of every accomplishment - big and small. Don't ruin accomplishments by putting a time stamp on them (except celebrating days on plan). Don't punish yourself if you aren't X weight by X day. I did a little something for myself at each 10 pound increment and each 10% percent of weight loss. Not just scale numbers either. Wearing smaller clothes and my wedding ring actually fitting. My rewards are non-food obviously. Mostly small things, but one huge thing for me was buying an outfit from a more expensive store that I loved when I could finally fit into their sizes again.

Well said. Thanks for these ideas, they are helpful.
If I can handle measuring myself I guess it would be good to see the change. Definitely feeling exponential NSVs already. Just changing the fuel changes everything.