View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 10:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I posted my numbers on THIS PAGE of my journal (post 760). My LDL and TC went through the roof eating a very low carb diet and my doctor was pretty alarmed about it. Even though many have said that I have nothing to worry about eating this way, I am still concerned about it. My uncle died of a heart attack at age 61 - so I do have a history of CVD in my family. I'm trying to figure out how I can still eat the way I need to eat (LCHF) and yet still get those cholesterol numbers down -- if for no other reason than to get my doctor to stop thinking statins. I won't do statins, either.

I did a lot of searching on this subject and I did find one source of information where someone with the same issue managed to do something about it. She did an initial blog about it HERE and then a follow-up blog regarding her progress several months later at THIS link. These articles are a good read. Her arguments for taking action made sense to me and as I said, she did manage to make her cholesterol numbers change for the better (if there is such a thing) with a few diet tweaks.

I applied a few of those tweaks to my diet a few months ago. I have cut back on the saturated fat just a bit, I eat more fatty fish, I use more olive oil, and I eat more fiber (flax, cocoa & chia seeds). But I am still eating a very low carb/ketogenic diet. I will be going in for my next cholesterol test tomorrow. I'll be interested to see if my dietary changes have made any difference. I'll post the results to my journal when I have them.