Old Mon, Sep-14-15, 11:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I used to have to avoid the bakery area completely, now I can take the short cut to the eggs and just inhale without massive temptations.

EXACTLY! This is just one way of having to deal with the challenges we face. This wasn't anything as massive, and sometimes fruitless, as resisting and facing temptation, it was understanding that one can overcome a challenge by something as simple as modifying the path you take to get somewhere else.

Sometimes I have to learn to "not look". I used to fall prey to these little bags of trail mix at TJ's. They were little bags clipped to a shelf. Because they were little, I justified to myself I could have one and it was okay.

Well, one became every single time I went to TJ's. So the first step to getting rid of this craving/compulsion was to find a different, better snack. I would fixate on the trail mix and then divert myself to the roasted seaweed instead. It took a while but the compulsion with the trail mix eventually faded.

Such is the nature of cravings. They can come from a simple association of being somewhere and eating something delicious.

Really... we're just slightly larger amoeba responding primitively to stimuli.