Old Tue, Aug-19-14, 07:52
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRocker
For me, I don't want to avoid these foods forever. The key to like is moderation. So if my family is all going out for ice cream, i take a couple bites from my siblings or dad and then I'm satisfied. The point is to listen to your body. If your body doesn't really care, then don't eat it. If it's seriously craving it and you've managed to stay on this WOE for a long enough time to trust yourself that you won't go overboard, have a tiny bit. I read somewhere that you should stick to your plan 80% and then have fun with the other 20%, and most of the people I've seen who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off use this rule. I know many would disagree with me, but that's my two cents.

For many - maybe even most - people, this may be true. I saw that with my wife this summer. She could be low carb for a few weeks - have a little sweet treat - and it would not throw her off. But sadly, it is not the case for me. I have a 30 year track record of yo-yo dieting ever upward to prove it. Even a little dabbling in sugary carb loaded food will awaken the carb craving beast that made me fat in the first place. I lose control and find it very hard to stay or get back on plan. If I eat even a few bites, my body is screaming at me to eat more and it is very persuasive.

When I reach maintenance, I may be able to add certain foods back to my diet - such as small portions of fruit, beans, etc. But the days of me eating even a bit of a DQ chocolate sundae are over. For me, it is just not worth it. For those who crave carbs like I do, it is best to just deal with the fact that there are just some foods we should never have again. This debate has come up time and again on this forum. It is clear to me that for many, the occasional off-plan treat is not a big issue. But that is not true for everyone. The important thing is that we figure what works for us as individuals and stick with what works.