#14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-14, 09:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDinCA
I wouldn't necessarily say belligerent but she definitely has one more problem than the average 17 year old.

DO NOT beat it down her throat that she is overweight. She knows she is overweight, and already feels horrible about it. And DO NOT talk to her friends about it, as someone suggested above.

Maybe take a step back out of the limelight on your weight-loss and "how easy it was for you" and start paying more attention to her as the beautiful young lady she is becoming. Don't sabatage the conversation by beginning or ending it about her weight, again she knows she is overweight and doesn't need to be constantly reminded of this. Don't talk at her, just listen to her. Kids love to talk. Let her do all the talking, just listen. When SHE is ready to discuss her weight, and has trust that you won't try to control what you think she needs to do, simply ask her how she would like to approach getting healthy. It has to be her idea. And of course support her in her decision.

Be pro-active. Don't let them "fend for themselves" anymore. Start cooking the meals in the house. It would be a good time to teach her how to cook for her family one day too if she shows interest in cooking. Slowly, eliminate all the convenient treats the kids munch on. Have as many sit down meals as you can with them, even if its just with the kids. THAT you can control.

And again, your daughter is not her weight. She is a beautiful amazing smart funny caring young lady, make sure she knows this. Self-esteem goes a long way in life. Be gentle.

Yep!!! I'll definitely lay off discussing her weight and mine, altho I havent talked about it with her for a good year or so and in that time its got much worse and she has put on so much. The reason its reared up again was the "disappearance" of the 5 donuts.

Its such a shame that at the prime of her life, she has everything going for her and if she carries on like this, by the time she's 20, she's going to be housebound and in trouble

Jo xxx