View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 11:43

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If you want to gain muscle yes at some point you have to stress the muscle. You can do it many ways and there's schools of thought - there's Super Slow where you work with a trainer to 100% muscle recruitment and then wait 5-7 days between sessions; or you can do it with split body parts like the bodybuilders have perfected. I say, do what appeals to you.

It might be worth it to have a couple of sessions with a trainer so you can learn what it's like to push as hard as is safely possible. Very informative for beginners! And most park districts now have weight rooms and trainers for us taxpayers.

Also just because some of us are fat, doesn't mean we have a lot of muscle. Some do, but some have wasted musculature inside. A very interesting article from Doug McGuff, author of "Body by Science."

Speaking about obese clients...

Quote:
... Carrying around with them a progressively increasing load that would necessitate the development of stronger muscles, I expected them to be hiding significantly enlarged muscles. I felt that if the obese would simply strip away their body fat and perform resistance training, they should be able to unveil a very pleasing physique. Consistent with this thinking, when I began training clients, I consistently overestimated the amount of resistance they should use in their workouts. I was always surprised to find that they would struggle and be unable to complete even a couple of reps. As I would adjust the resistance, the amount required would actually be much less than a typical non-obese subject of similar stature. In my flawed thinking, I always assumed this was due to a lack of toughness or discipline. I never considered that their muscles might be profoundly atrophied. ..

http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=57
Quote:
The important concept behind all of this is not that the obese have these problems just because of excess body fat. These problems occur because of muscle atrophy that occurs as a result of nutrient partitioning that occurs with the metabolic derangements associated with a modern diet. These problems can be reversed by restoring a normal metabolic environment and a return to proper insulin sensitivity. Following a diet that is in line with our ancient ancestors will decrease the massive sugar load of the modern diet. High intensity exercise will empty the largest glucose reservoir in the body, making improved insulin sensitivity possible. The situation is somewhat like a tub overflowing, you want to turn of the faucet and unplug the drain. In short, eat a natural evolutionary-based diet, and workout hard, so that a brief and infrequent workout is necessary. If you do these two things, almost everything else will fall into place.