View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 08:41
Registered Member

Plan: LC (<25% of Cals.) & IF
Stats: 248/231/115 Female 5'5.5"
BF:52%/51%/15%
Progress: 13%

Ah I see where our confusion is! Sorry...

Yes I am very aware that most "whole wheat bread" is basically white flour with some non-white flour and like you I want to stay away from that. "They" say that stoneground is better because then you are guaranteed for it not to be simply "white bread with a little germ thrown back in". So because of this I don't consider Wonder or Dempster's "100% Whole Wheat" the best choice necessarily.

However, my bread now is market bread - not grocery store - and BOTH choices I am considering use true whole wheat including the germ. The difference that I am confused on is, one is stoneground and the other is not specifically stoneground, though it includes some seeds and flax which lower the GI.

So my question is, is there a glycemic advantage to a wheat being specifically stoneground, that would warrant my choosing it over my current bread which is NOT stoneground, but does contain flax and seeds (both of which contribute to lower glycemic index). Or, on the flip side, would the flax and seeds in the non-stoneground loaf be a better choice (being low GI) even considering the wheat isn't stoneground.

If I understand you correctly, out of the two, you would pick the one with flax and seeds, since it isn't just wheat... That's my thinking too, and if I can make it to the market early enough the lady has also some 12-grain choices which may be even better?

I hope this makes it clear! Sorry, it was my mistake!