#21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 11:56

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
I like CarbSane and her blog, because a lot of what she's been saying is what I've always wanted to say, but I didn't want to be considered rude or mean.
Yeah, it's not only what you say but how you say it. I think CarbSane does have some interesting things to say, but I also think she *is* rude and mean, which is not my style at all.

Quote:
Some people have been low-carbing for years (i.e. Jimmy Moore) and are still obese. No problem with that. What bothers me is when those people disparage other diets and promote low-carb as the only healthy diet or the only way to lose weight when it has clearly not worked for them and other diets have worked for other people. WTH?! If you are never hungry on low-carb, then why did you fall off the wagon? If low-carb always works, then why are you still obese? Low-carb is not a walk in the park and most people FAIL. It's plain to see, and I don't understand why so many deny it.
Yeah, well me too. Low carbing for 5 years now and still obese, though clearly *less* obese than I was 5 years ago! And much healthier in other ways too - blood sugar way down, lower blood pressure, more energy, etc. But yes, still obese. But I keep plugging along because low carb is the only eating plan I'm happy on. I've tried low fat. I lost a ton of weight on it. I'll even be honest and say I lost way more weight than I have lost on low carb, and much faster too. But yeah, I fell off the wagon, because I hated every single day on that diet. I was miserable from morning to night, and eventually decided I would rather weigh 300 pounds than eat that low fat, high whole grain diet one more day. But if it works for other people? Okay, I actually *do* think low carb is one of the healthiest ways to eat. But I'm not the food police. I might tell other people about my WOE, but I'm not a rabid proselytizer. I started a food-related blog about a year and a half ago, but I called it "The Healing Art of Food" as I was not 100% committed to low carb as the be-all and end-all of eating, and wanted the blog to reflect *any* ideas I had about healthy eating. But I have not posted to it lately as I find I have fewer and fewer ideas about healthy eating.
Quote:
Jimmy Moore has recently spoken against the new My Plate recommendation, saying that such diets have made him fat. But a few years ago, he posted a menu on April Fool's Day that reflected the way he ate before low-carb. It was pure junk food. That diet was not low in fat, nor was it based on the food pyramid. Then how can he claim those recommendations have made him fat?

Somebody has to point out these inconsistencies and name names, because if you don't, nobody is going to pay attention. People need concrete examples.
Well yeah, that's just pretty darn silly of Jimmy. I ate a diet similar to the My Plate, or the old pyramid, and I lost 150 pounds doing that. But I was miserable and totally asocial as I could not be around other people eating food, or attend any social function where food might be served. But I did lose weight! It didn't make me fat! Just miserable, .

Oh well, just this week I've been losing weight again, and down to 256 today which is a new 5-year-low. At least I have not gained any weight back during my low carb journey (or not significant weight, I would bounce a lot between 262 and 268 for the most part). And maybe I'l starting to lose again. And in the meantime I love my food.

But I *don't* think one needs to name names in the way that Carb Sane does. To me it hurts her credibility. Especially when she picks on people like Dana Carpender, or Dr. Mary Verson, who are not obese or even overweight. True they are not stick-insects, but I would say (having met them both) that they both have BMIs right in the range of "normal" - so for CarbSane to hold them both up as low carb "failures" seems a real stretch, and makes it seem like she is grasping just for the sake of naming names.

And I don't think of Jimmy as a failure either. The man used to weight 410 pounds. Now he is far from it. He doesn't look like Mark Sisson, for example, but he certainly looks far different from what he used to look like! I like to think that I do too.