View Single Post
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 04:06

Plan: Kind of primal
Stats: 204/174/140 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 47%

Good grief, do you live in my house! I have the same problem. Now I am coming from a background of an eating disorder so I do have to watch myself as eating with others is a problem. But as other posters have said, it's the right thing to do to teach table manners. I try to limit myself to correcting one thing at a time (per mealtime) so they don't feel picked on. And trying to phrase it in a postive way. Like instead of "ugh, when you chew with your mouth open it makes me nauseous" saying things like "I'd love to hear what you have to say when you've finished your mouthfull and I can understand you properly". I find for me it helps sometimes if I give them their dinner and sit with them, then eat mine afterwards. That way I am able to address any lapses in manners calmly and eat without my stomach churning. With three kids learning civilised behavior on bad days mealtimes are not pretty!

I'm trying to give my kids fat and protein rich foods at set times during the day (3 meals and 2 snacks) to cut down on the whining. They were constantly pestering for food all day but it is getting better. My 4 year old was especially bad for snacking on fruit all day, not eating his meals and then whining about being hungry half an hour later. Sigh.