Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
March 21, 2011

A Season of Transformation Starts Now

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Nothing in our lifetime reminds us as strongly about the forces of nature than recent events in Japan. Earthquakes, storms, and tsunamis make it abundantly clear that we humans do not control our world despite a strong desire to believe differently. The earth is constantly transforming itself. Some of this activity is chaotic and unpredictable (like the Japanese quakes) and some is cyclical and regular. Yesterday, March 20, marked the vernal equinox; the moment when the sun crosses the equator and night and day are equal in length. For our northern hemisphere, the equinox marks a welcome slide into spring. The earth will transform. And we, as part of nature, will go where it goes.

Yet despite the transformative patterns of our planet, many of us see life as a long, slow decline. While it is true that life's end is inevitable, we too can reassert ourselves and bring a fresh spirit at any point along the way. We forget that we have bodies which are self-renewing and capable of miraculous self-healing. We only need to get out of our own way.

When Lynn and I first started this blog, we were struck by the inadequacy of the word "maintainer" to describe someone who had found a new way to manage food and weight. We asked readers to contribute better descriptors, but there seemed to be none. After thinking about this for some time, it occurred to me that the reason is simple: we were looking at wrong process. Successful maintenance actually has very little to do with registering the same number on a scale day after day. It has everything to do with transformation.

The people I've met who have put overweight behind them have transformed the way they look at life. This process takes some time and it is not always successful. The vast majority of dieters never set out to achieve transformation. Without it, they are almost certain to grow fat again.

What are the elements of transformation? I cannot claim to have an absolute corner on this knowledge. I can only contribute the benefit of observation and experience. As a result, I have decided to launch a Refuse to Regain Season of Transformation which will coincide with the coming of spring. Over the next month, I am going to post a daily (or almost daily!) transformative principle on my facebook page at Refuse to Regain: Barbara's World. I will post the same principle on this blog. Some of these will be accompanied by explanations and some may speak for themselves. None of them are absolute truths or perfect rules. They are simply the elements that I have observed in those who have accomplished dietary and weight transformation. You may have heard many of them before but I believe they bear repeating. Some of these principles are my own personal beliefs and may be subject to your modification. Others are more universal.

As the seasons change, we are often stirred to action. Some basic instinct pulls us along with the changing world and we feel a new desire to re-invent ourselves. I hope that the thoughts that appear over the coming month will help those of you who want to transform but haven't quite made the leap.

As always, I welcome your ideas, comments, and personal transformative principles. Happy Spring!
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...-right-now.html