View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234.5/207/130 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 26%

I noticed that people kind of stopped posting in this thread, but I think its great!

I think everyone should try to do something that they normally would wait til goal to do!

Here is mine~

I have been in chorus for as long as it has been offered to me. I have been told that I have a good voice, and I've also been told that I am a good actress (comes from playing convincing pranks on people).

Anyway, every year my high school puts on a huge musical production in the fall. They've done Carousel, Fiddler on the Roof, Bye Bye Birdie, and countless others. Anyone in grades 9-12 can audition to be in the play. Every year, people told me to do it, but I never did. I always regretted it.

Then, at the end of last year, the director announced that the play for the coming year would be Guys and Dolls.

I told people that I was auditioning for the part of Adelaide (one of two female roles and the only one in my voice range). Of course, when auditions actually started this year, I tried to weasle out of it. But eventually I worked up the courage and went to the audition.

There were about 30 girls auditioning for the role of Adelaide (and I was the biggest girl). Before the individual auditions (which were of course held on the stage in front of EVERYONE) all of the girls had to complete a dance sequence. I had missed the first audition so the dance was totally new to me. Groups of about 10 girls went at a time (there were tons, because even the smallest parts had to dance). I started to go out and join in the dance, but I just couldnt.

Instead, I hid backstage and cried. Another girl that I used to be very good friends with (high school happened, different paths etc). It was also her first time auditioning (for the other role) and she helped talk me into staying at the audition. So I stayed, but told myself that I was just going to watch the other girls perform. I watched them, and after one of them, I just walked onto the stage. I was up there, and would have been even more embarassed if I had walked off stage, so I just did it.

I got the part. Everyone was so supportive (except for one little witch who was jealous, but she never said anything to me..I just knew lol).

My opening night was TERRIFYING! I was so scared that I was nauseous! I was shaking! But I did it. And it was great. The reviews in the newspaper (just the locals, nothing fancy) raved about it and compared it to broadway quality! It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I always thought that I would wait until I was thin before I tried to perform. I would think, "nobody wants to see my try to sing and dance all over the place".

But apparently they did, because people from a well known theater in the neighboring city want me to audition for My Fair Lady in the summer!

I never thought I could do it when I was fat, but I did it darnit and I am proud of myself.

Who's next?

Shannon